The following NOAA Fisheries Bulletin is provided as a courtesy:
|ISSUE DATE: April 21, 2021 FB21-025
CONTACT: Kelli O’Donnell, 727-824-5305, [email protected]
Gulf of Mexico Greater Amberjack Recreational Fishing Season Reopens May 1-31, 2021
NOAA Fisheries reminds recreational fishermen that the Gulf of Mexico greater amberjack recreational fishing season reopens 12:01 a.m., local time, on May 1, 2021 and will close at 12:01 a.m., local time, on June 1, 2021.
What this Means:
- Preliminary landings indicate the recreational greater amberjack quota has not been met or projected to be met allowing the recreational fishing season to reopen May 1, 2021.
- The recreational fishing season for greater amberjack will close for the remainder of the fishing year during its second seasonal closure, starting June 1 through July 31.
- The 2021/2022 recreational greater amberjack fishing year will start on August 1, 2021.
Greater Amberjack Recreational Management Measures:
- Fishing Year: August 1 – July 31
- Seasonal Closure: November 1 – April 30 and June 1 – July 31
- Minimum Size Limit: 34 inch fork length
- Accountability Measures: Inseason closure and payback of any overage of the annual catch limit
- Bag Limit: 1 fish per person
- 2020/2021 annual catch limit: 1,309,620 lbs whole weight
- 2020/2021 annual catch target: 1,086,985 lbs whole weight