Reef Fish Amendment 48/ Red Drum Amendment 5: Status Determination Criteria and Optimum Yield for Reef Fish and Red Drum
This amendment modifies status determination criteria for reef fish species with undefined criteria and for red drum. This amendment achieves the following:
- Sets the goliath grouper Maximum Sustainable Yield (MSY) proxy at the yield when fishing at 40% spawning potential ratio.
- Set MSY proxy for remaining reef fish species at the yield when fishing at 30% SPR (F30% SPR).
- Sets MSY proxy values in the future based on the yield produced by FMSY recommended by the Council’s Scientific and Statistical Committee and subject to approval by the Council through a plan amendment.
- Sets the Maximum Fishing Mortality Threshold (MFMT) equal to the fishing mortality at MSY for each stock.
- For stocks assessed across the South Atlantic and Gulf Councils’ jurisdictions (goliath grouper, mutton snapper, yellowtail snapper, and black grouper), sets Minimum Stock Size Threshold (MSST) using existing definitions of MSST defined by the South Atlantic Council. Set the MSST = 0.75*BMSYfor the remaining species.
- Sets the shallow-water grouper Optimum Yield (OY) at 90% of MSY
- Sets the goliath grouper OY at (ACL/OFL) * MSY, or zero if the annual catch limit equals zero
- Sets OY at 90% of MSY for the remaining reef fish stocks.
This Final Rule is effective June 3, 2022.